Of all the starters I've had the pleasure of sinking my teeth into before enjoying a hearty meal (and trust me, there have been many), none have captivated me more than the spicy salmon over crispy rice served at my local sushi restaurant. I've grown used to scarfing down these delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, bite-sized salmon pieces smothered in spicy sriracha sauce and scooped atop crunchy, golden-brown rice out of a take-out box, and I thought I'd only ever get to enjoy these treats from the restaurant. But I'm happy to report that TikTok has come through yet again with another easy recipe for making these delicious fish-and-rice bites at home. I could not be happier.
To make salmon crispy rice at home, first cook your sushi rice as instructed, then combine with rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and salt.
Pack rice mixture into one even layer at the bottom of a loaf pan. Place the loaf pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until the rice mixture is firm.
Dice your salmon into bite-sized pieces and combine with sriracha, mayonnaise, sesame oil, soy sauce, and scallions. Set aside.
Once the rice has set, cut it into your desired shapes — preferably something that is bite-sized and easy to pick up with your fingers — then fry the patties in a shallow bed of neutral oil until they're golden brown and crispy.
Top the rice patties with your salmon mixture and garnish with nori, jalapeños, and sesame seeds.
- Crispy Rice Patties
400 grams cooked short grain sushi rice or jasmine rice
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt to taste
Neutral oil for frying
- Spicy Salmon Mixture
90 grams sushi-grade salmon, diced into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon sriracha
1 tablespoon Japanese mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced for garnishing
Sesame seeds, for garnishing
1. Cook rice as instructed on the packaging.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cooked rice, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and salt until fully combined.
3. Pack rice mixture into one even layer at the bottom of a loaf pan.
4. Place the loaf pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until the rice is firm enough to cut into squares.
5. In a separate bowl, combine salmon, sriracha, mayonnaise, sesame oil, soy sauce, and scallions. Set aside.
6. Once the rice has set, remove from the pan and cut into the shape of your choosing. Small rectangles are a great place to start.
7. Shallow fry the rice patties until lightly golden brown and crispy.
8. Top crispy rice patties with salmon mixture and garnish with nori, jalapeño, and sesame seeds.
9. Serve and enjoy!
- 6 servings
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 34 minutes, 59 seconds