Grabbing a burrito might make for an easy dinner, but given the sheer amount of stuff a tortilla can hold, you could easily be looking at a 700-calorie meal. Here's a low-cal option that offers all the zesty flavours of your fave meal (minus the tortilla) so you save calories and can really savour the filling. Instead of rice, these bites are made with whole-grain quinoa to offer more protein and fibre than rice for fewer calories, so you'll stay fuller longer.
These couldn't be easier to whip up. Just cook the quinoa separately, then jazz it up with fresh ingredients like roma tomatoes, red pepper, and cheddar cheese. In the end, you have flavourful bites that you can even make ahead for a fast and easy dinner the next day. They're about 100 calories each, so you can choose how big a meal you want.
- 170 grams uncooked quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
88 grams frozen corn
3 large eggs
100 grams shredded cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
10 grams fresh cilantro
259 grams salsa (plus extra for dipping)
- Place the uncooked quinoa and two cups water in a covered pot. Bring to boil, and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
- Mix together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl (save some salsa for dipping).
- Distribute mixture into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (about two heaping tablespoons each), and press down gently with the back of a spoon to compact.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm with salsa for dipping.
Makes 18 muffins.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- 18 muffins
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving